Friday, December 31, 2010

The Night the Tiger Roared.



I am not a football fan. Never was and never will be I guess. But the past one week, I have been tweeting and googling Harimau Malaya and researching Ultras Malaya on my BlackBerry till I can’t feel my fingers anymore.

It was by accident, this sudden enthusiasm for our national football team - Harimau Malaya.

This unexpected interest and intense passion for wanting and needing the Harimau Malaya to win was fuelled by harsh criticism and jeers coming from certain parties, especially those written on Twitterjaya.

Leaving out the petty insults thrown at us, I realized that this match made me more patriotic than ever.

For me at least, it was no longer a match to prove who was stronger or which team was more skilled. It was a fight for our Malaysia, our country, our nation and our people. Aint nobody be talking bad about my country.

They roared, we cheered and somehow along the journey, we became one, regardless.

It wasn’t about winning anymore. It was defending our honour, our dignity.

So I have to thank you. To the team, the people behind the team, the loyal supporters that call themselves Ultras Malaya, and Malaysians alike, thank you.
An Indian coach with his Chinese assistant, a Malay captain, a Japanese yakuza looking goalkeeper and an Indian Muslim manager (hope I got my facts right), they have the coolest of heads to win at the most hostile of environment.

I believe that deep down in each one of us, it wasn’t just about football. It’s our way of saying that we do fight back and that our pride for our nation runs as deep as yours for your country.

It’s nice waking up to all that positive energy coming from last night’s win. Perfect end to the year and the perfect start to 2011.

And the Ultras say;

Tanah Tumpahnya Darahku.

Berjuang hingga titisan terakhir. Martabatkan nama negara.

3 comments:

goodaspirin said...

This post rocks!

Cinta said...

Goodaspirin,

And they rocked the night!

Sir Pok Deng said...

And now girls are googling about the goal keeper.